| Pro League HTML | Slack Channel | College League HTML |

College Players in the Pro League

Rizzo
Site Admin

College Players in the Pro League

Post by Rizzo » Sat May 30, 2020 2:24 pm

There has been much discussion on Slack about bringing players from our fictional college league into our pro league that is utilizing real life player likenesses. After discussing it as an admin team, the decision has been made that we will be holding off on bringing these fictional players into the pro league until needed later in the future.

We started this league with a unique selling point of using real life players created in custom draft classes. While there are plenty of fictional leagues utilizing this engine available for GMs to join, this is the only one out there using draft classes comprised of real college players. We want to honor this commitment and continue using real life players as long as we possibly can.

There was also discussion about what to do when the CSFL catches up to the NFL in terms of draft classes being used in our league. At that point, I think we would still like to avoid using fictional players and the idea of using historic draft classes was brought up. What do people feel about that?

We started in 2010 in this league to allow us a decade-plus of draft classes to pile up for us to use. What if when we caught up we go back and start using draft classes from the 90's? After using up that decade, we could come back to real life and draft classes of 2024-2027 (rough estimate) in the NFL. Then when we catch up again, we could use NFL classes 2000-2009.

I'm really just spit-balling here. The decision is that we will not be using our fictional college players in the pro leagues yet, and potentially maybe never? We want to be transparent with that. But as for using historical classes, we would love to hear what you guys have to say.

While Cleasby, Dylan and I run the league, it's really the collection of GMs that make it "go" and we truly value everything you guys have to say and all of your input. Feel free to share any idea you have on this thread!
With love,
The Admin Team
New England Patriots
2011: 8-8, Missed Playoffs
2010: 14-2, Lost in Super Bowl I

AFC Champs Image 2010

-----

Washington Huskies
2010: 12-4, PAC-12 North Division Champs

Texas Longhorns
2011: 7-6, won Liberty Bowl

st0nfacd

Re: College Players in the Pro League

Post by st0nfacd » Sat May 30, 2020 2:29 pm

In my opinion, flipflopping between decades is an option, but possibly would be better if we started from for example 1980 and started going forward, and we can add in 20-30 of the real life young rookies each time, instead of the originals...
My thought is that by drafting the 00-09, we will end up with 2 archived Peyton's Brady's etc a lot sooner than we would probably want

drumr
SBII Champ

Post by drumr » Sat May 30, 2020 2:35 pm

I personally think having a few college players from our own league was a great idea. I could care less what other leagues do and that was never a selling point for me. They do what they do. This league has remained strong because of the community more than anything. That community does extend to the college league as well.

Ultimately they're just ratings with a name on them and while the nostalgia is cool even now they aren't exact replicas. If this is actually an alternative history who is to say other unknown guys wouldn't have made it. Why draw the line now? 5 or so guys every few seasons isn't gonna wreck a league. All this being said whatever is decided is fine with me as this is far from a deal breaker. I'm good if y'all wanna give me Steve McNair, Eddie George, and Derrick Henry.
Tennessee Titans
2010 CSFL: 9-7
2011 CSFL: 13-3 (Super Bowl II Champion, MVP: V. Young)

KW

Post by KW » Sat May 30, 2020 3:08 pm

I don't mind having a few fake college players (I won't know the difference lol) but others have said there's a draw to having a league full of real players. What I'm proposing below is how to do that.

I think the best way is to include real life college players that never made it to the pros. There are at least 10,000 division 1 college players at any given time, I'm sure we can fill out the last couple rounds of our draft classes with decent college players that never went pro. There will never be a shortage of real collegiate athletes to choose from, ever.

Any given year in the NFL, I'd guess there are about 350 players with an outside chance of getting drafted, or end up playing in the league for a bit after going undrafted. Each of our drafts can have about 150 of those guys (enough for the first five rounds), and the remaining players needed to fill out the class can still be real-life college players. There can definitely be some good players from that pool, but they can largely be our late round picks/free agent fillers.

Remember we are 8 years behind real life at the moment, still drafting players from 2011-12, and aren't going to catch up for a very long time. By my calculations, creating draft classes this way means we won't catch up with real life for about 30-35 seasons, or 10-12 real life years.

I don't like the idea of going back in time and re-drafting players from past decades. I'd rather have fake players than that.
HOUSTON ROCKETS | CAROLINA PANTHERS
2-14 >>> 7-9 >>> 7-9 >>> 11-5

vgorilla80

Post by vgorilla80 » Sat May 30, 2020 3:10 pm

I already told Cleasby that I’m happy to help by taking players from the CFL Drafts that were not selected in the NFL Drafts and compiling those each year. That would give us an extra 40-50 real players each draft instead of using fictionals.

drumr
SBII Champ

Post by drumr » Sat May 30, 2020 3:13 pm

This is a problem we don't have to worry about for 10-12 years lol.
Tennessee Titans
2010 CSFL: 9-7
2011 CSFL: 13-3 (Super Bowl II Champion, MVP: V. Young)

Cleasby

Post by Cleasby » Sat May 30, 2020 4:07 pm

drumr wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 3:13 pm
This is a problem we don't have to worry about for 10-12 years lol.
We like to discuss future challenges early :lol:

From KWs idea and vgorilla we could certainly do this but we would really need some help in gathering the names for each year. This would be a huge undertaking to work out the CFL draft names weights etc and likewise with college guys who never got drafted.

So I think its fair to say we would need some GMs to step up and get this data for us.

Rizzo
Site Admin

Post by Rizzo » Sat May 30, 2020 4:14 pm

vgorilla80 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 3:10 pm
I already told Cleasby that I’m happy to help by taking players from the CFL Drafts that were not selected in the NFL Drafts and compiling those each year. That would give us an extra 40-50 real players each draft instead of using fictionals.
This would be hugely helpful!
Cleasby wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 4:07 pm
From KWs idea and vgorilla we could certainly do this but we would really need some help in gathering the names for each year. This would be a huge undertaking to work out the CFL draft names weights etc and likewise with college guys who never got drafted.

So I think its fair to say we would need some GMs to step up and get this data for us.
Unfortunately, Manu (our original 4th member of the admin team) came aboard and was going to dedicate his efforts towards adding players like this into our draft classes. I remember specifically he targeted QB Bryant Moniz from Hawaii. Played in a high-flying offense but never made it into the NFL.

He's the type of player we would love to fill our draft classes with: players that had big college statistics that never got their chance because they were filling it up against bad competition. Like Cleasby said, this is where we would LOVE help from the GMs to go through and be able to locate some of these guys.
New England Patriots
2011: 8-8, Missed Playoffs
2010: 14-2, Lost in Super Bowl I

AFC Champs Image 2010

-----

Washington Huskies
2010: 12-4, PAC-12 North Division Champs

Texas Longhorns
2011: 7-6, won Liberty Bowl

jedpearson

Post by jedpearson » Sat May 30, 2020 6:39 pm

Welp... Having guys go from the college league into the pro league was a huge selling feature of this league for me. As far as I know there weren't any leagues that had players coming from a college sim into a pro sim like that. Kinda bums me out.

So now there is no chance any of those players will make it?

I chose this league specifically because i wanted to see a dual SIM with college sim players... Something I never see.

To me they aren't "fake players"

I mean... What if we used the draft class names and just changed the names of the college league players so at least we are using players from the college league and can see how they do in the pro league.

Like why can't we be changing the names of some of the players on teams in the college league? Then that way those real players will have some variance in their ratings.

jedpearson

Post by jedpearson » Sat May 30, 2020 6:40 pm

Like... We know what the draft classes are gonna be, why couldn't we just change some of the players in the college leagues names when they are freshman so then they have real likenesses, but have a more organic career in college.

jedpearson

Post by jedpearson » Sat May 30, 2020 7:29 pm

I think between all of us we could change names of incoming freshman on our individual teams, provide a list to admins each year of guys from those teams, then just use the classes right out of the college league. I know I'd be down to help in this effort, but I really don't like the idea of just making the college league worthless, but I might be the minority here in that is the reason I even joined either league was I wanted a good active college league sim which there aren't many, that simulated players in college and put them in the pros. It's not done, so for me, I don't really care what other leagues do either, why can't we do something that is a bit more original. I like the idea of utilizing the thousands of former college players that didn't make it.

Flaming Homer

Post by Flaming Homer » Sun May 31, 2020 10:10 pm

Kyrus idea makes sense to me, if the amount of work is doable.
Anyway, I'm fine with any decision of the admin team.

White Cornerback

Post by White Cornerback » Sun May 31, 2020 10:31 pm

If we went to historic classes I wouldn't really have interest in the league at all. It does nothing for me seeing out of date timelines of players. I prefer to just have players from the college league progress up through and either mesh them with the real draft classes or start importing them after the real draft classes dry up. Overcomplicating it by name changing prospects or changing what they were etc. I've found that the normalise option when you import from CFB to PF actually puts out better classes than if you're not using the CFB at all and the game creates it.